Skip to main content

God-moments in winter

  Welcome! Hope you enjoy this re-posting from my blog!

God-moments 
Winter is a time when most people would rather not bother going anywhere. You hear so many people complaining about the weather when it’s wet, hot or cold. Sometime ago, I was convicted about my comments on the weather after I received understanding of the following scripture. “... All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.” (Psalm 139:16. David goes on to say in verse 17, “How precious to me are your thoughts, O God!”


I took a few days leave from work recently and I offered to take my son’s car for maintenance so he didn't have to miss work. I was informed the repair work needed was going to take four hours so I had a choice to either pick up the car later or hang around at the workshop. I chose the latter, and it turned out to be one of those God-moments that only God would have planned for me.

The small waiting room was cold and unattractive. But I felt drawn to observe what was going on in the place. The small business is owned and run by a family (father, sons & daughter) and it’s been operating for a few years now. I was impressed with the manner in which the owner greeted his clients. He had great customer service ethics.

Then I was reminded that we've been praying on the radio and at church for God to prosper business in the communities. With that thought in my mind, I knew God had purposed for me to pray. I asked the owner if I could pray with him for his business. He was so thankful and appreciative. A young woman walked into the room and we introduced ourselves. It turned out the lady had started her own business from home as a translator. She was glad for the offer to pray for her business. I turned around and there were more people now in the room.

I could sense the presence of the Lord was moving in the place. I had completely forgotten how cold it had been in the room. A man came in with his son and we got talking. I shared with him about my church and its outreaches to the local area, through doing acts of kindness (‘servolution’) such as assisting families with lawn mowing, repair work in and outside the homes, giving out bread, and clothing, free pamper for women and other things. Two other women (Maori) had now joined us in the room.

When people respond positively, I believe it is time to take the conversation into another level. I talked to them about our Maori church members leading worship in the Maori language (Te Reo) the previous week. Our Pastor had made it a special occasion to celebrate the end of the Maori Language week with Maori worship. It was powerful worship! I wanted so much to express this because it was one of those significant times of our journey as a multicultural church in a community that is primarily occupied by Maori people.

While all this was happening, my hands were busy folding my leaflets for my women's ministry Group Meeting the coming week. I got the chance to promote this event and distributed my leaflets to everyone there.

My whole time was consumed with praying, sharing and meeting new people. By the time my car was ready, I had spent four hours of just doing what God had purposed for me so many years ago. As I write this, I'm thinking winter is almost gone; I can hear those birds singing as if saying, they are alive and have survived this cold winter. Someone has been looking after them. And soon, very soon, spring will come.

God makes everything beautiful in His time!


Prayer: Dear Lord, may we always find and appreciate
those God-moments you have ordained for us.
In Jesus Name, Amen.




Comments

  1. Linda Palmer said:
    Wow. . what a God ordained time of ministry there at the car workshop! Wonderful divine appointments, one after another!! Praise God! Wish I could have been there with you! Bless you dear sister! So looking forward to meeting you at the Kona 50th YWAM celebration. . still praying for all of your monies to come in!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The courage of love

Against the dark background of much despair, the message of Easter, of the resurrection brings to us a bright light of hope. It is a message about the courage of love that sets the Christian faith apart from all other beliefs. It is about a loving God who relentlessly pursues us (Ezekiel 34:12) despite the sin in our lives. During our reflection time at work this week – I was led to read the following scripture: Jesus said to [Martha] “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die" (John 11:25-16). Sometimes we don’t think much about the daily acts of courage as we live out our Christian values. It takes courage to speak God's Word in places where you know there are unbelievers who are resistant to the message of he Gospel. I believe this is no time to be satisfied with the status quo in our lives. We should take every opportunity that come and turn them into times

The suddenlies!

Welcome to my November post!   God moves in the suddenlies!   Treasures Of Hope image From little things, big things grow. When a door of opportunities closes, l ittle grace becomes enough grace. We grope in the darkness of the valley until  a glimmer of light appears. Hope! Ju st a little hope, is enough hope, so you hold on to that.    When the unexpected happens, will my mustard-seed faith move the mountain that blocks the way forward? Jesus said, " if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you" Matthew 17:20. Two months ago, I resigned from my job and before I had time to ponder over things, I was on a plane to a conference for Pacifi c women in Brisbane, Australia . I had prayed about goin g to this in the past but I'd been so consumed with work and other commitments that I'd forgotten about it. U ntil now, and I thanked G

A new year - a "fresh start"

The New Year is here! What a year it's been. And I'm really glad to be starting a New Year. Looking back, 2010 was a busy year. I started a new job at the beginning of the year. Launched my blog (Treasures In Darkness) and started writing. I volunteer weekly as co-host for a radio prayer ministry to the Samoan community and the nations. The ministry celebrated it's first birthday last year. The month of April saw the start of an outreach ministry "Treasures of Hope" to local women in the community. Then in November/December, I attended the 50th Jubilee of Youth With A Mission in Kona, Hawaii. The year closed with the passing away of my father on Christmas day. That year is behind me now. It's time to look ahead! One of the values I had learned from my late father's life was that of ' perseverance. ' He believed in hard work ("if you don't work you don't eat... you become poor"). As a fisherman, he was well known for bringing big