Skip to main content

Stoking the fire, one prayer at a time

Welcome to my new spring blog post


Stoking the fire, one prayer at a time…


image source:wikimedia.org
How do you keep your spiritual passion burning?

I believe that ‘prayer’ is fuel for the fire.

God gifts every saved person for service (Steven J. Cole @bible.org “Saved to serve”).
Here’s the apostle Paul speaking to Timothy, “This is why I remind you to fan into flames the spiritual gift God gave you when I laid my hands on you.” 2 Timothy 1:6
Over the years, I discovered that prayer is a tool that I can use to introduce God during conversations I have with strangers I meet.  Through praying for others, I have a closer relationship with God. It's been an amazing journey of learning how to humble myself and be kind to strangers and poor people I encounter on my way to and from work. God uses both our strengths and weaknesses to train us to be better witnesses for him. 

Here's how Paul encourages Timothy, 
“For God has not given us the spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love and sound mind.” (2 Timothy 1:7)

Fear is one of the biggest giants that stands between us and our promised land.  We have to slay this giant if we want to inherit our promised land. The devil is a liar and accuser and he loves to keep us hiding in our comfort zones where we cannot serve and glorify God.  In 1 Samuel 17:26, David dared Goliath and said, "Who is this pagan Philistine anyway that he is allowed to defy the armies of the living God?  That's a bold statement to make in the face of the fierce intimidating Goliath!"  And with a tiny stone and the sling, David killed him. WOW! Victory! What about us?  Paul encourages us from Philippians 4:13, "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."

Fear keeps us from developing our gifts and from being fruitful in our lives. But the good news is, God is able to deliver us from our fears and transform us by His Spirit.   There are no people lining up waiting for us to pray for or to hear the good news of the gospel. We have to be willing to go and find them.

Talking to strangers opens up opportunities to pray, share a scripture or give a personal testimony of God's goodness in my life.  I believe there will be fewer strangers in our communities if we as Christians will give  some time to starting a conversation with someone they've never met before. In my experiences, ending a conversation with a  prayer opens up opportunities to give hope, to point people to God, give encouragement and allow God to heal them. Some give their hearts to the Lord, some say they will think about going back to church or find a church not visit. Prayer helps people to reflect upon where they are in life. People listen to the words of the prayer.  Some cry while being prayed for while some say, “Thank you… that was just what I needed!"


God heals our fears as we take small steps of faith.  Of course we are to expect some disappointments. But it does not have to end there.  Keep on going, There are more strangers wherever we go. I recently heard the following quote from Joyce Myer,

“I’d rather give something to someone and be wrong than to give nothing.”

What a great challenge!  I would rather offer to pray for someone and be rejected than lose the opportunity altogether. 


And Yes, more prayers, more fuel to keep our spiritual passion burning.



God bless and thank you for visiting!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The suddenlies!

Welcome to my November post!   God moves in the suddenlies!   Treasures Of Hope image From little things, big things grow. When a door of opportunities closes, l ittle grace becomes enough grace. We grope in the darkness of the valley until  a glimmer of light appears. Hope! Ju st a little hope, is enough hope, so you hold on to that.    When the unexpected happens, will my mustard-seed faith move the mountain that blocks the way forward? Jesus said, " if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you" Matthew 17:20. Two months ago, I resigned from my job and before I had time to ponder over things, I was on a plane to a conference for Pacifi c women in Brisbane, Australia . I had prayed about goin g to this in the past but I'd been so consumed with work and other commitments that I'd forgotten about it. U ntil now, and I thanked G

God is on our side

WELCOME TO MY BLOG!   "If God is for us, who can be against us? " Romans 8:31 (image source: stephensizer.blogspot.com) What a great promise to believe God for in 2012! The last year had its many successes and failures. But we are now on the threshold of a new year with new challenges, new opportunities and privileges. We must "... press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus" (Philippians 3:14). And we need courage to do that. Society uses courage to honor war-heroes, the bravery of those who save people from dangerous situation and other heroic acts that require extraordinary strength. But we also need courage in our day to day lives. We need courage and wisdom to live ordered lives; so we can give quality time to maintain good health, to praying and reading our Bibles. Our responsibilities to our families, church, employers, communities all need to be met and juggling the time to do these need good planning and we

A new year - a "fresh start"

The New Year is here! What a year it's been. And I'm really glad to be starting a New Year. Looking back, 2010 was a busy year. I started a new job at the beginning of the year. Launched my blog (Treasures In Darkness) and started writing. I volunteer weekly as co-host for a radio prayer ministry to the Samoan community and the nations. The ministry celebrated it's first birthday last year. The month of April saw the start of an outreach ministry "Treasures of Hope" to local women in the community. Then in November/December, I attended the 50th Jubilee of Youth With A Mission in Kona, Hawaii. The year closed with the passing away of my father on Christmas day. That year is behind me now. It's time to look ahead! One of the values I had learned from my late father's life was that of ' perseverance. ' He believed in hard work ("if you don't work you don't eat... you become poor"). As a fisherman, he was well known for bringing big