Skip to main content

Times of refreshing

Time of refreshing

new year always brings a sense of new beginnings.  It is a special time, time for change.  
Today is the last day of my weekend retreat at Ngakau Waiora Mercy Spirituality Centre.  I’m here because I’ve been wanting to take a break away from everything.  This place felt like it was just what I needed.  
My New Year’s Day devotional reading was from (Ephesians 2:6) and it says, “God has already raised us into new heights in the spirit but, to understand the joy and power of what God has for us, we must be willing to let go of old trappings.” What do I need to change?  I’m sure the answer/s to that question will come but right now all I wanted to do  was to rest, read my bible, talk to God and to have more rest. 

Psalm 104:30 says, “You send forth Your Spirit, they are created; And You renew the face of the earth.” (V.30).  God is always restoring and renewing his creation.  This includes God caring for his children also.  Each one of us spend the year serving others through  the use of our time, skills, money and energy during the year.  We pay very little attention to our  own physical and emotional needs.  

We can’t expect to give and give more and not pause to refill or refuel ourselves. We arrive at the beginning of the new year feeling drained and empty.  We know we can’t pour from an empty cup.  We need to be restored and renewed with fresh strength for the journey. 

God has a great sense of humour.  I had a distraction (so that it wasn’t all about me and my wanting to have peace on my own).  I met 84 years old Raquel, from Chile at the Centre - she was the only other person at the units I was staying at.  Raquel spoke Spanish and French and very limited English.  I felt God put Raquel in my path for a reason.  So I got to know Raquel and we had a lot of fun trying to communicate to each other using sign language, writing down words and their translation.  We also prayed for each other.  First, Raquel prayed in Spanish/French and I prayed in English.  We enjoyed a walk to the shops and sharing our meal times together.  I grew to love the time spent with this delightful little lady - and I thank God for the time we  spent together.  The bible says, “The generous will prosper; those who refresh others will themselves be refreshed.” (Proverbs 11:25) I have no doubt God was in the plan!  Oh, and what about those changes?  Well, I think God has all that covered, maybe another time, another weekend retreat🙏The best is yet to come.

I pray that you will let the Lord lead you this year and let it be the best year of your life! 
Happy New Year and God bless you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The suddenlies!

Welcome to my November post!   God moves in the suddenlies!   Treasures Of Hope image From little things, big things grow. When a door of opportunities closes, l ittle grace becomes enough grace. We grope in the darkness of the valley until  a glimmer of light appears. Hope! Ju st a little hope, is enough hope, so you hold on to that.    When the unexpected happens, will my mustard-seed faith move the mountain that blocks the way forward? Jesus said, " if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you" Matthew 17:20. Two months ago, I resigned from my job and before I had time to ponder over things, I was on a plane to a conference for Pacifi c women in Brisbane, Australia . I had prayed about goin g to this in the past but I'd been so consumed with work and other commitments that I'd forgotten about it. U ntil now, and I thanked G

God is on our side

WELCOME TO MY BLOG!   "If God is for us, who can be against us? " Romans 8:31 (image source: stephensizer.blogspot.com) What a great promise to believe God for in 2012! The last year had its many successes and failures. But we are now on the threshold of a new year with new challenges, new opportunities and privileges. We must "... press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus" (Philippians 3:14). And we need courage to do that. Society uses courage to honor war-heroes, the bravery of those who save people from dangerous situation and other heroic acts that require extraordinary strength. But we also need courage in our day to day lives. We need courage and wisdom to live ordered lives; so we can give quality time to maintain good health, to praying and reading our Bibles. Our responsibilities to our families, church, employers, communities all need to be met and juggling the time to do these need good planning and we

A new year - a "fresh start"

The New Year is here! What a year it's been. And I'm really glad to be starting a New Year. Looking back, 2010 was a busy year. I started a new job at the beginning of the year. Launched my blog (Treasures In Darkness) and started writing. I volunteer weekly as co-host for a radio prayer ministry to the Samoan community and the nations. The ministry celebrated it's first birthday last year. The month of April saw the start of an outreach ministry "Treasures of Hope" to local women in the community. Then in November/December, I attended the 50th Jubilee of Youth With A Mission in Kona, Hawaii. The year closed with the passing away of my father on Christmas day. That year is behind me now. It's time to look ahead! One of the values I had learned from my late father's life was that of ' perseverance. ' He believed in hard work ("if you don't work you don't eat... you become poor"). As a fisherman, he was well known for bringing big